Hi there, I’m excited to share with you my personal favorite recipe featuring Maitake mushrooms! Maitake mushrooms, also known as hen of the woods, are a type of mushroom that have a meaty texture and a slightly earthy and nutty flavor. They are packed with nutrients and are a great addition to any dish.
For this recipe, I’ve combined Maitake mushrooms with some delicious and healthy ingredients to create a hearty and flavorful dish. The best part is that it’s super easy to make and can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
So let’s get started! Follow along with me as I walk you through the steps to create this delicious Maitake mushroom recipe.
- Maitake mushroom spawn
- Hardwood sawdust or wood chips
- In a pressure cooker or autoclave, sterilize the sawdust or wood chips.
- Mix the sterilized sawdust or wood chips with bran in a large container.
- Add gypsum to the mixture to balance the pH level.
- Add enough water to the mixture to reach field capacity, meaning the mixture is moist but not dripping wet.
- Pack the mixture tightly into bags or containers.
- Introduce maitake mushroom spawn to the mixture.
- Incubate the bags or containers in a dark, warm place (around 65-75°F) for 4-6 weeks.
- Once the mixture is fully colonized by the mushroom mycelium, move the bags or containers to a cooler location (around 50-60°F) to encourage the formation of fruiting bodies (the actual mushrooms).
- Wait for the mushrooms to grow and harvest them when they reach maturity.