Is This Mushroom Poisonous? – April 2023

Mushrooms are a type of fungus that grow in many different environments around the world. While many mushrooms are safe to eat and even considered a delicacy, others can be poisonous and even deadly. To prevent danger, it is imperative to be able to recognize hazardous mushrooms. In this complete guide, we will discuss the common types of poisonous mushrooms, their symptoms, and how to avoid them.

About Poisonous Mushrooms

Poisonous mushrooms are fungi that contain toxic compounds that can cause severe illness or even death when ingested. These toxic compounds can affect the liver, kidneys, and other vital organs, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, convulsions, and even coma.

It is crucial to note that not all mushrooms are poisonous, and some are even edible and have health benefits. However, identifying poisonous mushrooms can be challenging, as some toxic and edible species can look similar in appearance.

If you believe you may have consumed poisonous mushrooms, you must seek medical assistance right away. Additionally, it is advisable to avoid picking and consuming wild mushrooms unless you are an expert or have received proper training in mushroom identification. If in doubt, it is best to be safe than sorry and throw away any mushrooms that have not been certified as edible.

Types of Poisonous Mushrooms

There are several types of poisonous mushrooms, but the most common ones are:

Types of Poisonous Mushrooms

Amanita Phalloides (Death Cap)

The bulk of deaths globally attributable to mushrooms are caused by the Death Cap mushroom. The cap is typically a greenish-yellow color and can range from 2-6 inches in diameter. It has white gills and a bulbous stem that is surrounded by a cup-shaped volva. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, dehydration, and liver and kidney failure are all signs of poisoning.

Gyromitra Esculenta (False Morel)

The False Morel is a highly toxic mushroom that is commonly found in North America and Europe. It has a brain-like cap that is reddish-brown and can range from 2-8 inches in diameter. The stem is hollow and white, and the gills are absent. Headaches, wooziness, nausea, vomiting, and in severe cases, liver damage, are all signs of poisoning.

Inocybe spp. (Fibrecap Mushroom)

The Fibrecap Mushroom is a very deadly mushroom that is widely distributed across North America and Europe. It has a brown cap that is up to 3 inches in diameter and a white stem. Symptoms of poisoning include hallucinations, dizziness, diarrhea, vomiting, and in severe cases, seizures.

Chlorophyllum Molybdites (Green-Spored Lepiota)

The Green-Spored Lepiota is a poisonous mushroom that is commonly found in North America and Europe. It has a greenish-brown cap that is up to 10 inches in diameter and a white stem. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and, in serious cases, renal failure are all signs of poisoning.

Galerina Marginata (Deadly Galerina)

The Deadly Galerina is a highly toxic mushroom that is commonly found in North America and Europe. It has a brown cap that is up to 1.5 inches in diameter and a brown stem. Symptoms of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and in severe cases, liver failure.

Symptoms of Poisoning

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can vary depending on the type of mushroom and the amount consumed. However, common symptoms include:

Nausea and vomiting

This is the most common symptom of mushroom poisoning and can occur within 15-30 minutes of ingestion.

Diarrhea

This symptom may start to appear a few hours after ingestion and linger for a few days.

Abdominal pain

This symptom can be minor to severe, and cramping might also be present.

Headaches

This symptom may start a few hours after consumption and linger for several days.

Dizziness

This symptom can occur within a few hours of ingestion and may be accompanied by weakness.

Hallucinations

This symptom can occur with certain types of mushroom poisoning and may be accompanied by confusion.

Seizures

This symptom can occur in severe cases of mushroom poisoning.

How to Avoid Poisonous Mushrooms

The simplest approach to prevent mushroom poisoning is to get familiar with their signs and avoid eating them. Here are some suggestions to help you stay clear of toxic mushrooms.

  1. Learn to identify poisonous mushrooms: Take a mushroom identification class or study books on mushroom identification to learn how to identify poisonous mushrooms.
  2. Don’t

Leave a Comment